The PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 controller is one of the best gamepads ever made, but that does not mean it’s perfect. Problems have arisen with the grips, some stick or button that gets stuck, and the inevitable connection failures. Let’s take a look at the main problems with the command of PS4 and their solutions.
Sony has 20 years perfecting the gamepad of their consoles. The PS4 DualShock 4 is one of the best controls to play video games that are right now: precise, ergonomic and resistant, But like any product that is manufactured in millions of units, there can always be small failures or weaknesses that can cause a break, that the remote does not connect to the console, or that the sticks stop responding.
Let’s take a look at the main problems with the command of PS4, and its solution.
A grip has broken!:
We started with what is probably the most common failure of the DualShock4, at least with the controls included in the launch consoles. After Sony has corrected the problem like ps4 controller won’t charge by putting more resistant grips.
With use, the rubber covers that cover the sticks (called thumb grips ) can break or tear at some point.
Luckily, the solution to this PS4 command problem is very simple: they can be replaced by some of the hundreds of grips they sell for just a couple of euros at any video game store.
You can take the opportunity to choose a rougher one that offers a better thumb grip, so you do not miss the shot at the worst moment in that duel to the death.
If your DualShock 4 is not paired with the console, the light of the control shines intermittently, there is lag (delay) in the movements, or it does not respond directly, it is necessary to restart the connection. These are the steps:
- Turn off the console and the router, and disconnect the plugs of both devices
- Connect the console and turn it on, but not the router. If the gamepad works, there was an interference with the router channel. You have to turn it on again, access the router configuration , and change the channel to 1 or 11
- If the problem has not been resolved, look for the reset button on the knob, near trigger L2
Use a deployed clip or a small watchmaker’s screwdriver to press the tiny button inside the hole. Press it a few seconds to reset the gamepad
Connect the gamepad to the console via a USB cable to re-pair it. That should solve the problem
The battery does not charge, or is quickly discharged
- This is another problem with the most common PS4 gamepad
- Use only the USB cable that comes with the PS4. The USB cables are not all the same, and some do not load the control properly, or do not work directly with it
- Connect the control to the console with the cable and press the PS button so that the battery icon appears:
- During loading, the icon has to change. The three load bars must appear and disappear until the load is complete and the icon remains with the three fixed bars. If the icon does not move during the process, there may be a problem with the battery
- Another possibility is that you are trying to recharge the controls with the console off. They only recharge in Sleep Mode, and with the USB ports powered up. Enter the Configuration of the console, go to Configuration of power , Set functions available in Sleep Mode , Supply power to the USB ports , and activate the option Always.
- If the DualShock 4 still does not recharge, it may be necessary to replace the battery or the USB connector. Get in touch with the PlayStation Technical Service
Some button, trigger or stick does not work
Another common problem with the PS4 controller is that a button does not work, or jams.
- If a button does not react well or does not return to its original position it may be due to the dirt that has been introduced into the holes. Use compressed air to try to extract or release the dirt
- If there is a broken button or it does not work, iFixit has a step by step to replace it with another one. But you will have to open the command, which means losing the guarantee. If you still have it, it is better to call the Technical Service
- If you spill a sugary soda on the remote and some sugar is sneaked inside, it can corrode some of the internal mechanisms. You have to open the remote and clean the buttons. Consult the step by step above.
If the gamepad is under warranty (two years from your date of purchase in Spain), and the button has not been broken due to a blow or misuse, contact Sony’s Technical Service to arrange it.